Ubisoft has announced that a new update for Assassin’s Creed Valhalla is now available. The update brings additional free content to the game for all players: a new game mode, Jomsviking upgrades, new abilities, and more.
As part of the Season 1 Yule Season, the River Raids is a permanent addition to the game. It’s a new replayable mode that Ubisoft says “enriches the raiding experience” in Assassin’s Creed Valhalla.
The new River Raids game mode contains the following:
- Higher-stakes raids, with unique maps and rewards, in which the player can raid without impacting their main game progression and alliances in England. Unlike the original raiding feature, the raiding crew can be temporarily lost if players don’t revive them during the raid.
- A Jomsviking Crew: Recruited Jomsvikings (created by other players online) are led by the player’s personal Jomsviking Lieutenant.
- A New Longship: An all-new fully customizable longship exclusive to the game mode – whose cargo hold can be upgraded to bring more resources back from River Raids.
The new Jomsviking Hall has three levels to upgrade in Season 1. The higher the Hall’s level, the higher the ranked Jomsvikings it will attract for the player to recruit. Jomsviking also now have ranks, with the higher-ranked Jomsvikings having greater survivability in River Raids.
After players complete one of the first narrative arcs in England, either Grantebridgescire or Ledecestrescire, build their Barracks and recruit their Jomsviking Lieutenant, they will encounter a new NPC named Vagn and his crew of Jomsviking raiders, who will introduce them to the River Raids game mode. The mode introduces three new river maps set around the coastline of England full of locations to raid and treasure to loot.
New Abilities and Rewards
Finally, the update brings additional abilities and rewards:
- The Saint George Armor set and Great Sword
- 3 new Abilities, hidden in monasteries
- 2 new Settlement Buildings
- A new set of longship and player cosmetics
The River Raids game mode update is the latest addition as part of the Assassin’s Creed Valhalla post-launch experience. Ubisoft says that a variety of new free content is coming throughout 2021 for all players. It is focused on gameplay and world evolution.
Season 2 Ostara Coming in March
Season 2 starts in March 2021. It’s called Ostara. The update brings a festival in the Settlement, a new game mode that builds on core combat, new gear, and cosmetic items. Meanwhile, more information about Wrath of the Druids, the first expansion coming this spring, will come at a later date.