The ESA said today that it was “actively assessing the situation regarding coronavirus.” The E3 organizer says that it “will continue to develop measures to further reduce health risks” at the show.
The statement from the organizer of E3 came on the same day that the city of Los Angeles – which hosts the show – declared a state of emergency. Earlier this week, GDC was cancelled amid a growing number of exhibitors pulling out of the show.
Of course, coronavirus is impacting other industries as well. Just earlier today, MGM and Universal delayed No Time to Die until November over coronavirus concerns. The upcoming James Bond film – the 25th in the franchise – was supposed to debut next month.
As for E3, the ESA says that “our E3 team and partners continue to monitor COVID-19 via the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO).”
“Again, please know that we will continue to evaluate new developments and provide updates, as needed,” they add.
As we noted in February, E3 2020 registration is now open. The annual trade show takes place at the LA Convention Center in downtown Los Angeles. This year’s show is June 9 through 11.
We’ll keep you updated as the ESA makes further announcements regarding E3 2020.