This morning, Square Enix announced a bunch of new details for upcoming Final Fantasy XIV Online content. The new content includes a major new patch, a PS5 open beta, and the new Endwalker expansion.
The recently-announced fourth expansion pack, Endwalker, is scheduled to release in fall 2021 for PC, Mac, PS4, and PS5. Endwalker is described as the culmination of the Hydaelyn and Zodiark story. Square Enix says that it “will bring an abundance of new content, including multiple new jobs, an increased level cap, vast new areas, adjustments to the battle system, as well as a variety of new battle, crafter and gatherer content.”
YoRHa: Dark Apocalypse
Square Enix also revealed the first details for Patch 5.5, the next major update for the MMORPG. It is scheduled to go live on April 13, 2021. So it’s only a couple of months off from release.
Patch 5.5 is titled Death Unto Dawn. It is split into two parts and sets the stage for the Endwalker expansion. Part one is the third chapter of YoRHa: Dark Apocalypse — the NieR-inspired alliance raid featuring the work of guest creators Yosuke Saito and Yoko Taro. You should also expect “an abundance of new story and battle content, system updates, and more.”
PS5 open beta
Additionally, the recently announced PlayStation 5 console version of the game will launch an open beta alongside Patch 5.5. The PlayStation 5 version will feature numerous upgrades from the PS4 version, including significantly improved frame rates, faster load times, 4K resolution support, and more.
Players whose Final Fantasy XIV Online service account has a registered license for the PlayStation 4 version may download and play the PlayStation 5 Upgrade Version at no extra cost at the start of the open beta period, while new players can experience the game on the PlayStation 5 through a free trial. The full version of the game will be available on PlayStation 5 following the conclusion of the open beta.
Patch 5.5 Notes
Additional details on Patch 5.5 content are outlined below:
- New Main Scenario Quests – The story update—split into two parts—will pave the way for the Endwalker storyline.
- New Alliance Raid – The third chapter of the NieR-inspired YoRHa: Dark Apocalypse alliance raid series.
- “Sorrow of Werlyt” Questline Update – The thrilling conclusion of the Warrior of Light and Gaius’ quest to thwart the Empire’s war machine development project.
- New Trial: The Cloud Deck – Players can face off against the fearsome Diamond Weapon in this latest trial, which will be available in both Normal and Extreme difficulties.
- New Dungeon: Paglth’an – Players can tackle this new story dungeon alongside fellow adventurers or a party of non-player characters via Trust System compatibility.
- “Save the Queen” Questline Update – Alongside the addition of a new field area, “Zadnor,” players can further upgrade their Resistance Weapons to their final and most powerful stage.
- New Unreal Trial – The next powered-up version of an existing primal will be unleashed upon level 80 heroes, providing players with a new challenge and a chance to collect unique prizes.
- Crafter Updates – High-level crafters can look forward to new content in Patch 5.5 that will earn them special achievements and unique crafting tools.
- Ishgard Restoration Update – Locals of The Firmament will periodically hold Fêtes to celebrate the completion of the restoration.
- “Explorer Mode” Update – The Explorer Mode feature will be expanded to feature additional dungeons. Explorer Mode allows players to explore dungeons free from danger to capture striking and fun screenshots while enabling the use of mounts and minions. Players will also now be able to use performance actions while in dungeons, such as playing musical instruments.
- Performance Action Updates – Players will now be able to change instruments at any time while performing, and a new instrument will be added.
- Job Adjustments for PvE and PvP Actions, New Custom Deliveries, Ocean Fishing Update, New Mounts and more.