Square Enix has worked hard trying to redeem themselves with Final Fantasy XIV Online, delivering constant content to the game since its relaunch.
The game has crossed the 22 million registered users worldwide milestone. Producer and Director Naoki Yoshida announced the milestone with the Playstation 5 version’s new details alongside the new “Death Unto Dawn” Patch 5.5. The patch will deliver more gameplay modes to players and provide them with many more hours of gameplay.
Patch 5.5 is almost here, and it’s coming in hot!
Death Unto Down is the name of Patch 5.5. Square Enix will split it into two parts. It acts as a prelude to Endwalker, the fourth expansion. Both expansion packs look very promising for MMORPG fans and for those who haven’t taken the full step into this genre of games already.
Part one of this new patch is scheduled for April 13. It brings the hugely anticipated third chapter of YoRHa: Dark Apocalypse, the NieR style-inspired alliance raid featuring the work of Square Enix producer Yosuke Saito and the creator of NieR Automata, Yoko Sato.
As we’ve previously noted, the main content added in Patch 5.5 includes:
- New Main Scenario Quests – Prospects of peace may soon fall to ruin, as Fandaniel and the Telophoroi scheme to recreate the Final Days and ominous towers rise in all corners of the realm. With the servants of chaos amassing at every turn, will the Scions uncover their plot before it is too late?
- New Alliance Raid: The Tower at Paradigm’s Breach – The third chapter of the NieR-inspired YoRHa: Dark Apocalypse alliance raid series.
- “Sorrow of Werlyt” Questline Finale – With adamantine armour and a beating, blood-red core, the Diamond Weapon is the culmination of countless sacrifices and untold suffering. When the ultimate triumph of the VIIth Legion’s monstrous Weapon project descends upon Wert, who will be saved, and who shall fall?
- New Trial: The Cloud Deck – Players can face off against the fearsome Diamond Weapon in this latest trial, which will be available in both Normal and Extreme difficulties.
- New Dungeon: Paglth’an – Players can tackle this new story dungeon alongside fellow adventurers or a party of non-player characters via Trust System compatibility.
- “Save the Queen” Questline Update – This latest update includes a new field area, “Zadnor,” an increased resistance rank cap, the final stage of enhancement for resistance weapons and more.
- New Unreal Trial – The next powered-up primal, Leviathan, has returned from A Realm Reborn to terrorize level 80 heroes. Providing them with a hefty challenge and chances at unique rewards.
- Crafter Updates – High-level crafters can look forward to new content in Patch 5.5 that will earn them special achievements and unique crafting tools.
- Ishgard Restoration Update – As a new age dawns in Ishgard, luminaries from across Eorzea have been invited to the Firmament to take part in a ceremony commemorating this momentous occasion. Players can obtain rewards by participating in gatherer- and crafter-focused events, which will occur during these periodic celebrations.
- “Explorer Mode” Update – The Explorer Mode feature will be expanded to include level 70 dungeons. Explorer Mode allows players to explore dungeons free from danger to capture striking and fun screenshots while enabling mounts and minions. Players will also now be able to use performance actions while in dungeons, such as playing musical instruments.
- Performance Action Updates – A new instrument will be added with Patch 5.55.
- Job Adjustments for PvE and PvP Actions, New Custom Deliveries, New Mounts and more.
PS5 beta coming soon
During the announcement, Naoki Yoshida announced that the open beta of the game on PS5 is going to launch alongside Patch 5.5. Besides the previously-announced upgrades on PS5 – which include an FPS improvement, faster load times, and 4K support – this open beta also includes DualSense haptic feedback, new trophies, and 3D audio support.
Users with a PS4 license registered to their account can upgrade to the upgraded PS5 edition at no extra cost. This option will be available just at the start of the open beta period. New players can experience the game on the PS5 via the Free Trial version. That version is available for everyone. You can also purchase the PS5 version following the conclusion of the open beta.