Are Activision and Infinity Ward doing enough to crack down on racism within Call of Duty: Modern Warfare? That’s a question some fans have been asking.
Our friends over at MP1ST have reported on how racist player IDs and clan tags “have been present since the game’s launch.” Shockingly, the game apparently does not automatically bar the n-word from being used, as evidenced in screenshots posted to Reddit.
Rather than embed the screenshot directly in this article, we’ll link to one of the examples for anyone who would like to see the evidence with their own eyes. It’s not even a misspelling of the n-word, which suggests that the game’s filters simply do not include it. But be warned that it is extremely offensive.
Infinity Ward has released a statement via Twitter apologizing and promising to do more:
There is no place for racist content in our game. This is an effort we began with launch [sic] and we need to do a better job. We’re issuing thousands of daily bans of racist and hate-oriented names. But we know we have to do more – and we are:
- Adding additional resources to monitor and ID racist content
- Adding additional in-game reporting systems to increase the number of bans by hour
- Adding filters and greater restrictions on name changes
- Evaluating in-game improvements to make it easier to report offenses
- Increasing permanent bans to root out repeat offenders
We apologize to our players. This is our commitment to you, our fans. Thank you.
Game Freaks 365 has reached out to Activision for comment. We will update this story if they respond.