Sony is closing the PlayStation Store on three of its legacy platforms.
Late last year, Sony ended the sale of PS3, PSP, and Vita games via the PlayStation Store on web and mobile. This latest change affects game purchases directly through the legacy consoles and handhelds.
In an email, Sony offered a full explanation of what you can expect:
We are closing PlayStation Store on PlayStation 3 on July 2nd, 2021 and on PlayStation Vita devices on August 27th, 2021. Additionally, the remaining purchase functionality for PSP (PlayStation Portable) will also retire on July 2nd, 2021. After thoughtful consideration, we decided to make these changes in an effort to focus our resources for PlayStation Store on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5, which will enable us to enhance the customer experience even further. We thank you for your support on these platforms throughout the years.
What does this mean for you?
You will no longer be able to purchase PS3, PS Vita and PSP digital content, including games and video content.
You will also no longer be able to make in-game purchases through games on PS3, PS Vita and PSP.
While the PSP storefront was previously closed in 2016, the remaining PSP purchase functionality (e.g. in-game purchases) will now be fully retired.
What about content you already own?‘
• You will still be able to download your owned PS3, PS Vita, and PSP content, including games and video content.
• You can download your owned content onto your PS3, PS Vita, or PSP by accessing the Download List on the respective device.
• If you have purchased a PS3/PS Vita cross-buy bundle and have only downloaded either the PS3 or PS Vita version, you will need to download the other version prior to the closure of PlayStation Store on the relevant device.
• Video content that you own can be streamed on PS3, PS4 or PS5 through the My Videos app, or on mobile devices through the PlayStation Video app.
• You will still be able to re-download and play game titles you have claimed through PlayStation Plus as long as you remain a member of the service.
What about vouchers, wallet funds, and cross-buy content?
• You will still be able to redeem game and PlayStation Plus vouchers on PS3, PS Vita, and PSP devices once PlayStation Store and purchase functionality for these devices close.
• You will no longer be able to redeem PSN wallet fund vouchers (e.g. gift cards) on PS3, PS Vita, and PSP devices once PlayStation Store and purchase functionality for these devices close.
• Your PSN wallet funds will remain in your PSN account, but you will only be able to use your wallet funds to purchase PS4 and PS5 products on PlayStation Store on the web, PlayStation App, or on PS4 and PS5 consoles.
• You will still be able to purchase cross-buy content through PlayStation Store on the web, PlayStation App, or on PS4 and PS5 consoles and access both the PS4 version and the PS3/PS Vita/PSP versions.