Sony Interactive Entertainment announced today that The Last of Us Part II is delayed. They have not provided a new release date.
“SIE has made the difficult decision to delay the launch of The Last of Us Part II and Marvel’s Iron Man VR until further notice. Logistically, the global crisis is preventing us from providing the launch experience our players deserve,” the company tweeted.
The delay comes as companies all around the globe have dealt with the coronavirus pandemic. Most publishers and development studios have turned to remote work where possible.
“The good news is we’re nearly done with development of The Last of Us Part II,” Naughty Dog said in a statement.
“However, even with us finishing the game, we were faced with the reality that due to logistics beyond our control, we couldn’t launch The Last of Us Part II to our satisfaction,” the company added.
Naughty Dog says it wants to make sure everyone gets to play around the same time. They also want to ensure that “we’re doing everything possible to preserve the best experience for everyone.”
Previously scheduled for February 2020, the game was delayed until May 29 to allow for polishing. The delay will be a major disappointment to fans. But it’s undoubtedly equally frustrating – if not more so – for the fine folks at Naughty Dog. They’ve spent years making this game, and now an event outside of their control is forcing a delay.